OpenAI has added several exciting features to ChatGPT, including support for web browsing andadditions. However, there is still no way to natively load a document and ask questions from its context. Sure, some users might like thatTrain an AI chatbot with your data, but not everyone has the knowledge to set up tools and libraries. So if you are looking for an easy way to upload a document to ChatGPT, this tutorial will help you. We have integrated five different ways to upload PDF, Word, Excel and other documents to ChatGPT.
Table of contents
Upload a document to ChatGPT for free using an extension
We know that OpenAI has not yet added native functionality to upload documents and files to ChatGPT. However, with a coldChatGPT extension for Chrome, You can upload different file types to ChatGPT and it works perfectly. The extension is called ChatGPT File Uploader Extended and it allows uploading various document formats including TXT, JS, PY, HTML, CSS, JSON, CSV, MD, TS, TSX, JSX, PDF, DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX. and zip code. To find out how it works, follow the steps below.
1. Proceed with the installationAdvanced ChatGPT file uploaderExtension from theLink here. It is completely free to use and works with any Chromium-based browser.
2. Now just open the ChatGPT website (visit) and a "Upload button.appears at the bottom right.
3. Click the and buttonSelect the documentwant to load. Among the popular document formats, it supports PDF, DOC, DOCX, XLSX, TXT and more.
4. Now it willStart editing your documentautomatically.
5. After a while, the AI chatbotcreate a summaryof the document
6. Now you canask questionsand ChatGPT will reply from the uploaded document. How cool is that?
7th yeartested Word files, Excel spreadsheets, PDF documents and more and processed everything successfully. However, please note that you cannot process documents with scanned images.
8. You can also clickSettings icon.next to the Upload button and increase the snippet size if you have a large document. In addition, you can customize prompts, ZIP file settings, and more.
Upload a PDF file to ChatGPT via a third-party website
If you want to upload a PDF file to ChatGPT, you can check chatpdf.com (visit). It's a great service that uses the ChatGPT API to process and parse PDF files. The best part is that you don't need to add your API key.
For free users, the service allowsup to 120 pages per PDF file(10MB or less) andThree PDF uploads in one day. You can ask up to 50 questions per day. If you choose the Plus subscription ($5 per month), you can upload up to 2,000 pages per PDF document to this ChatGPT site. Here's how to use it.
1. Go to chatpdf.com (visit) and click "Drop the PDF here” to upload your PDF document.
2. You can tooEnter the URL of a PDF fileTo do this, use the "From URL" link below.
3. WilleProcess the PDF documentwithin a few seconds depending on the size of the file.
4. First, a summary of the document is displayed with three suggested questions. You can tooask your questionsbelow and chat with the PDF file.
For those who don't know, Microsoft added a ChatGPT-based oneBing sidebar(also called Discover) in your Edge browser. It is one of the best AI tools that allows you to analyze documents without even uploading the file. Just open the document in Microsoft Edge and the file will be processed automatically. Is that how it works?
1. The startBorde de Microsoftand open the PDF file by pressing “Ctrl + O”. You can also open the web version of Microsoft Office or Google Docs or even a web page.
2. Now click onBing sidebar buttonand start asking questions. You can start with a summary and then get a contextualized response to the document opened in this tab.
3. You canAsk more questionsand will continue to answer from the document itself. You can also click "Reply from this site" if you are replying from the web.
Analyze PDF or text documents with ChatGPT plugins
If you are a ChatGPT Plus subscriber, you can now use the latest GPT 4 version and ChatGPT plugins to upload and study any type of document. You need to activate the ChatGPT plugins to access the documents. Here are the steps you need to follow:
1. First, open the ChatGPT website (visit) yEnable ChatGPT pluginsFollow our linked guide.
2. Next go toModel "GPT-4". From here, click on the “Plugins” option.
2. Now open the "Add-on-Store” via the drop down menu.
3. Here go to the “All” section and look for “Ask your PDF” and install it. You can also try the Link Reader plugin which works in a similar way.
4. ThenEnable Ask Your PDFvia the arrow icon once the plugin is installed.
5. Finally,Enter the document linkon ChatGPT and you can ask any question you want.
6. If you wishUpload your own document, run the following message and you will get a link to upload the file.
upload a document
7. Open the link and here you can upload different onesDocument format, including PDF, DOC, DOCX, TXT, PPT, PPTX, CSV, EPUB and RTF.
8. Now he will give you onedocument identification. Copy it This allows you to continue chatting with the document in the ChatGPT interface.
9. Just paste the document ID and ask your questions. This will automatically identify your uploaded document and only allow you to ask questions about that specific document.
Upload a document to ChatGPT using BookGPT
Finally there is oneLibroGPTProject on Hugging Face that allows you to upload an entire book. If you have a large document, this project is for you. It uses the ChatGPT API to process and parse the document. The only catch is that you need to add your OpenAI API key. Is that how it works?
1. First, log in to yourSign up for an AI accountvonHere. If you don't have an account yet, create a free account.
2. Then click "Create a new secret key” and copy the API key. If you've used up your free API credit, you'll need to add a card to use it.
3. Then open theGPT book projectjPaste the OpenAI API keyin the background.
4. Then add or remove the URL of the PDF documentUpload a local PDF archiveto ChatGPT. Now ask your questions and click on "Send".
5. Within a few seconds, the document will be processed and you will receive anAnswer by quoting the page numbers. Isn't that cool? Now you can ask more questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you upload a file to ChatGPT?
OpenAI has not yet added a native option to upload a file to the ChatGPT interface. However, with the support of plugins, API keys, extensions and other third-party services, you can upload a file to ChatGPT.
Can you upload a PDF to ChatGPT?
Yes, you can upload a PDF file to ChatGPT using plugins. In addition, you can easily use a Chrome extension, OpenAI API key, or websites with ChatGPT to upload PDFs.